Monday, August 18, 2008

Incentive? Initiative? Inclination??

In fumbling around this new blog of mine, I needed a title. I know I want to write about what I'm going through to help others. So... yeah. That's as far as I had gotten.

I'm still not sure if "Initiative" is the word I'm looking for. The first letters, mTBI, are reflective of "mild traumatic brain injury." It's the only thing I really was given back in February '08... the neurologist I had seen told me it would be best if I were to learn everything I could about my new diagnosis and "use the internet and search 'mTBI,' that should give you a start..."

I decided on the T and B to represent Tough Boy. The most mention of concussions in the past and present surround sports and professional athletics. I kind of believe that much of the "minor" perspective on this kind of injury has resulted from many professionals coming out of game after getting knocked out - and then sent right back out there to play in the next inning/quarter/round. No professional men's hockey player wants to be called a "girl" because he couldn't hack a little check into the wall. You ready yet, tough boy? Get out there and play!

I might not be a tough boy. My income wasn't coming from playing sports. My job and everything I did involved using my brain. I was constantly using my brain in every second I was awake... and thus the challenges I've been facing and the constant frustration stems from all the changes my brain is going through. I can't use my brain as easily and I need to re-learn just about everything you can think of.

But many people, who don't play professional sports, also are struggling with their own changes. Many are trying to be a "tough boy" (or girl) and hack through it, never realizing what was really going on to make their life so challenging now. So my initiative, or whatever, is to help those tough boys who just need a little guidance... or some no-brainer to just smack them in the face to help them better cope with their new-found troubles. I don't know much, nor do I claim to know everything... but I know I wish I had someone throwing these ideas and suggestions in my face a loooooong time ago!

No comments: