Monday, August 18, 2008

The who, what, why...

Tough Boy:
1) Use a word processor on your computer to save ideas and unfinished work (I love Word for Microsoft XP). You can go back as much as you want before you send an email or post a blog!

2) Spell Check is a life-saving invention

3) What's the word?? While in Word, right click on the word you're unsure about, scroll down to "Synonyms." If only I could do that while talking!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

In November I was walking to my “job,” the unpaid rotation in my sixth year of Pharmacy school. I had a presentation that day, which I can’t remember what it was on… but I also had an interview for one of the medical schools I had applied to. I was running my strengths and weaknesses through my mind. I was preparing my presentation of how as a doctor I would love to work in the emergency room, trauma-surgery unit, or become a cardiovascular surgeon.

If you told me that morning before I left my apartment that my entire life was about to change – I would’ve probably said, “you’re right, I’m about to ace my interview and get accepted to medical school!” I would’ve run out the door without blinking at the thought.

That morning, I was hit in the head and my entire life has changed.


As I continue to recover from a world-altering closed head injury, I hope I can find the energy to record some of the "no-brainers" that aren't so obvious when you have no brain... or at least one that isn't working properly.

I have been slowly learning about concussions and mild traumatic brain injuries (mTBI); unfortunately there's nothing mild about them and they are not fully understood.


Too often, when I would try to find out things about what I was going through, I would come across advertising websites. Where they all had great information, they were all saying the same thing. Also, they were all connected to personal injury lawyers hoping to make bank off this “invisible” suffering. That’s all fine and dandy – but if doctors are telling me there’s nothing wrong, I need to find the answers myself… even if it takes me forever. I’m educated enough to look deeper and make sense of what I might find (um... well, eventually). Forever is a dreary time, but when the hope for my future is darker than the present, spending the insane amounts of time and frustration may help me slowly become more comfortable.

I am still not ok. I have a long way to go. I can, however, fake-it-till-I-make-it. I try not to make it an issue with people I am just meeting. I look the best I’ve looked in 7 years - I’m a knock-out. However, the most annoying thing I hear is “Really?? Cause you look great!” They don’t see me every day. They don’t see me when I am on my 6th quiet day spent inside with the lights off; my main goal being to just get to the next day. On my good days I might be able to open mail from a month ago – not saying I read any of the stuff I keep, but I try to throw out the junk mail. On bad days, I really can’t tell you how I have spent my waking hours other than reading “mindless” things online. Two or three sentences, short blogs, horoscopes, updates on the recent Red Sox developments… but I won’t register most of it.

If I decide to go out or when I am going to a friend’s house for the weekend, I feel obligated to push through it, smile and charm, and “be as normal as I can.” I might go days without sleeping and I will be ultimately confused. I try to have VERY minimal light and sound exposure in the days coming up before I have to drive. I try to “rest up” as much as I can to get “energy reserves” so I can better hold conversations, meet new people, be a friend… have a life… in the days that I am down there. Nobody likes a party pooper. And if it ever comes to the question of “what do you do for work?” or “why aren’t you drinking?” I try my best to follow along with what the “past-me” would have said, until I have to tell them I’m actually retarded now. “But you look great!!” Ugh….

I’ve been doing this on my own. I am very smart, and I’m sure I am still above average on many levels. The frustration is with the dramatic change. The part where I have to RE-learn what I’ve been molded to do since I was born. How I group things, how I count, how I view numbers, how I listen, how I read, how I send out my rent check, how I communicate, how I react to others and situations. I look great, I am very smart… but I am not the “me” I had been for the 22 years before my head injury.

There are certainly glimpses of “me,” and therefore leads many people who were acquaintances to not understand what I’m trying to say about my new world and my new difficulties. And some of those glimpses have driven me to want to “figure it out” when everyone else has no suggestions. I read a lot of blogs to pass time. I also read a lot nonsense articles. But sometimes, I come across something that seems so obvious, something that is so much “common sense,” that I am baffled by my discovery.

When you have a brain injury, as discrete as your problems may seem to others, your brain just isn’t able to see the obvious. The confusion makes much of the “common sense” not so common to you anymore. And these “no-brainers” that I didn’t have the brain to figure out on my own – were absolutely some of the best trinkets of advice that took me WAY too long to find.

So this is where I’m going to put those trinkets. For anyone who stumbles on this blog, if you have any trinkets of your own (even if you’re perfectly functioning), PLEASE let me know. It takes me MONTHS to do something that might take you two seconds; any help would be completely appreciated. Eventually, I hope these things can help people that are just starting to figure out how hard it is to find these things on their own… the people who aren’t as fortunate to have the same resilience that’s peaking through from the “old me.” And maybe, just maybe, I can make that difference in this world I had thought I would in the pharmacy world, medical school, or as a cardiovascular surgeon… but maybe I will be able to improve enough to make a difference by teaching the healthcare providers who are treating, and become an advocate for, those who are struggling despite just how fantastic they look.

2 comments:

Colette Amelia said...

My life sounds very similar to yours except I think I am further along in the recovery and when I was at your stage I just didn't have a clue what the hell was going on. I didn't know what made me feel bad.

I just pushed and tried to be normal. Slowly I became aware of what were triggers and it is still happening.

I too have navigated towards wanting to help be an advocate and a teacher of brain injury.

3 1/2 years later I am still between a hope and despair as when I feel good I think I am good to get on with life but then when I try I get reminded that the body is not ready... so I just don't know if there is any hope and the rollercoaster continues.

glad to have found you.

NEdream26 said...

Thank you so much Colette! Sorry for taking so much time to respond - but I did get your messages... seems that I'm on the same rollercoaster of wanting to help, having a little energy and then hitting despair as I'm reminded that I still "just can't" do some things. Hence the weariness preventing my reply!

I really don't have a clue sometimes. I'm still learning a lot of triggers. If you think of something - let me know and I'll try to find the energy to post it!!!!

We're all pushing and trying to be normal - that's a huge part of mTBIs that make them so unrecognized. But we're all doing the best that we can... and eventually, that has to be enough.

Glad to have you stopping by!!!

NEdream