Friday, April 10, 2009

The Intelligence of Our Future resides in the Brains of Our Kids

I know I have a reader from WA stop in once in a while... Well, here's a great article adding to the awareness of concussions in sports straight from Issaquah, WA.

The seriousness of concussions are becoming known in sports... and not just any sports - the ones you see the next generation playing!! Think Little League baseball and Pop Warner football. As exciting as these sports can be for the little guys going out and giving it their all, this quote from the article pretty much sums it up for me:

The trouble is, students aren’t as careful as they need to be, said Cheryl Reed, head athletic trainer and sports medicine instructor at Skyline High School. Trainers and coaches have to be vigilant because some students won’t admit they’ve suffered a concussion, she said.


They want to keep playing, so they don’t tell anyone that they’ve got a headache,” she said. “They just don’t have the maturity to say, ‘Hey, is this really worth brain damage?’”


Just a little awareness for your thoughts :)

I'm completely exhausted today..........

2 comments:

BrainInjuryLand said...

It's lovely to come visit your blog, and neat to see WA state mentioned.

I used to live east of Issaquah, beautiful area.

I hope us light bearers of TBI can make a difference telling our stories, raising awareness, education, and lighting the path for others.

Blessings on you for all you do. Hope you get some good rest.

Blessings,
RH

Anonymous said...

I'll second the quote in this article. I did exactly the same thing, when I was in high school. I got tackled hard, I went down hard, and I took a while getting up -- more than once. A couple of times, I got hit so hard, my consciousness was definitely altered. Everything got really slow and weird and far away... I couldn't stand up straight... I felt nauseous afterwards. But did I stop playing? No way, no how -- I wanted to be in the game. And I paid the price dearly for years after that -- problems with authority, problems with drugs and alcohol, problems with grades and friends and being able to focus and complete stuff -- or, should I say, NOT being able to focus and complete stuff.

I was fortunate, in two instances, to have been playing in games where there were grown-up adults who took me out of play. One coach actually stopped the game a little while after I went down and got up all wobbly and turned around and uncoordinated.

They asked me if I was okay and if I could play on - I said, Yes, absolutely. And commenced to play really poorly, not to mention fall a few more times.

Coaches need to pay attention to the warning signs of concussion in sports. And they also need to make it okay for athletes to be injured and take a breather. If they can figure out smart ways of getting us off the field without making us look/feel like we're losers who are letting our teammates down, that can go a long way towards getting us off the field and preventing further injury.

Thanks for posting this!

BB